Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Brinks-Grandparent Edition



October 8-11th
Fall Breather (aka Columbus Day renamed) made for a long weekend for me. This was a chance to drive home to Rosemount to collect my winter clothes and see my friends and family. This weekend I was also able to see my grand parents (the Brink side). They came all the way from South Dakota to see us. Since this was their 4th time of driving up to our home in Minnesota it would have been nice to take them somewhere fun to sight see, but they’re too old for that now. My grandmother is 70 something, drags her feet when she walks and in conversations she says things like “oh really?” and “what?” My grandfather is 85ish, he’s practically deaf and can hardly walk. If you have a conversation with him, he will never stop talking until you fall asleep in your chair and even then, since he can't see very well and can’t tell that you’ve fallen asleep, he’ll keep talking.
After my 4 hour drive from college and a lovely stop-over lunch at the ‘old people’s’ Baker Square with my friend in Bloomington, I arrived home. I felt awkward hugging my grandma. It’s probably because I haven’t seen them for five years. Grandpa couldn’t get up fast enough for my hug. My father informed me I was sleeping in the basement because it would be easier for grandpa to stay in my room. I went to the basement with my suitcase. I had to collect myself to be a nice granddaughter and try to have some good conversations. I tried. I really did. I went upstairs and I told them all about what was going on in my life, but every time I started talking about something my father would butt in about this or that. When the conversations turned toward news and then toward starving children in the US, it became…well let’s just say that two old men who both know everything will not listen to a 22 year old ‘girl’. I had to leave the room and get some fresh air outside. You gotta love family, even the boring ones.
After dinner I thought I should have a chat with my grandfather since I’ve never really had a long conversation with him before. So he just started talking…and talking. For the next hour, I didn’t get much in except head nodding and opening my mouth but not getting the words out before he kept on going with his talking. I heard many, many, many miraculous salvation stories and unfortunate missionary persecutions and finally his very dramatic, terrifying, life altering, salvation story. I think it’s been embellished a tad in the past 50 or so years. Then after a bit I was able to ask a question, which I thought would be the first of several. “How did you and grandma meet?” The next hour was a multitude of stories beginning with him and my grandmother meeting and getting married, then one child after the other accepting Christ as their savior, finding their future husband/wife, all about their husband/wife’s family, and their getting married. Of course he left out my own parents so there were only 5 people to go through: Mark, Bart, Kurt, Kari, and Beth. Although, not in that order. Finally there was a break so I was free for the night. I didn’t know exactly what to think of that “conversation.” I still don’t know what to think of that “conversation.” I’m still slightly terrified of my grandpa’s salvation story. He said I could use it to tell to people, but… I don’t think so. Although, for all my grandfather’s craziness, he’s a nice guy.
            Saturday, my brother came over for dinner and we all went out to Chilis and then we all came back from chilis and then we all sat around and thought we should have more to say to each other. I on the other hand, grabbed my computer and started working on my Mother’s book cover. I thought I should at least get something done while everyone sits around and stares at each other and my grandfather falls asleep in his chair. The book cover turned out AMAZING!
            On Sunday, they left before I was up, which didn’t really matter because the night before grandpa had said his little “May God go with you, and “ blah blah blah… because he assumed I wouldn’t be up in time to say goodbye anyway. I had slept in till 11am on Saturday.
            Monday was a lovely day with my mother. I love hanging out like that. :) And then I took my 2 duffle bags, large suit case, computer bag, purse stuffed full, craft tote, 2 large plastic bags full, 2 winter coats, comforter for the bed, and guitar back to my dorm. The drive did not seem as hideously long as the way there. It may have had something to do with the iced coffee and strawberry smoothie.

2 comments:

  1. I had a nice long comment but my computer rebooted. I was going to say that my Grandpa and I have nothing to talk about; it gets painfully awkward. So you're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the font of the bookcover's letters!
    And I think the awkwardness of cross-generational communication is a 'sacrifice' you'll be glad you made.
    It's one of those disciplined choices that you may practice again & again without huge obvious benefit, but then one day it happens...you realize a relationship was hewn out of those times & you've both been blessed. :-)

    ReplyDelete