Friday, October 15, 2010

Dorm Life Changes People


Week 8 of school is the week that I start noticing changes in the clothing styles on campus. The changes are mostly seen in freshman. For example, yesterday morning I was walking to the elevator to leave and a freshman was walking down the hall. By her clothes I assumed she just woke up and was heading for the bathroom, but she came to the elevator, on her way to class. Now is the time I should stop assuming that baggy sweat pants with flip-flops and ratty rags on ones head are only lounge wear. I have seen so many girls around campus wearing baggy sweatpants, and these pants are all the same. I remember them from high school. For some reason almost every girl in school had a pair of these sweat pants and now I’m thinking they are national, including Canada, and maybe even universal; although, my Korean room mate doesn’t have these sweatpants.
I think it’s the dorm lifestyle that changes these people. In the dorms you don’t need much. We got high speed Internet, cable TV, and all our belongings stuffed into tiny rooms. If we’re lucky we have a fridge and microwave too. The RAs make contests to try to get people to keep their doors open. They want a “fun” community. Along with the communal bathrooms, all privacy is lost. I’m pretty sure they haven’t changed anything in those bathrooms for 30 years. Although, they do repaint the ceilings of the showers when they get too moldy. The dorms are quite convenient. I find myself eating cereal in front of the TV very often because there’s nowhere to go. We got it all right here.

3 comments:

  1. Dorm life made me even more neurotic than I am now. I just couldn't deal with the lack of privacy. I felt like a 10 year old camp scout or something. I just wanted shelter, and to be left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pair of baggy sweatpants but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them in public. My mom always had words of wisdom, "Make sure you have clean underwear on in case you're in an accident, and never wear sweatpants in public" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are definitely words to live by mom

    ReplyDelete